Criminals in England and Wales could soon face bans from pubs, sports grounds, and social events instead of prison sentences. The idea, backed by courts minister Sarah Sackman, is part of a wider review into sentencing reforms.
Speaking to The Guardian, Sackman said these exclusions—along with mandatory work for offenders—are “very much part of the mix” as the government looks for ways to reduce reoffending without overcrowding prisons.
Prisons Under Pressure
The push for alternative punishments comes as prisons struggle with severe overcrowding and the court system faces a backlog of 73,000 cases.
On Tuesday, ministers took immediate action to stop placing girls in young offender institutions, following alarming rates of self-harm. Instead, they will now be placed in secure schools or children’s homes.
Recent figures show that girls account for over half of self-harm incidents in youth custody—despite making up less than 2% of children behind bars.
Clashes Over Court Backlogs
Sackman, who became courts minister in December, has already clashed with parliament’s spending watchdog. The public accounts committee accused the government of relying too heavily on the Leveson review, which is set to report in the coming months.
Tory MP Geoffrey Clifton-Brown, chair of the committee, criticised the justice department for accepting that the record-high crown court backlog will continue to grow. He pointed to the recruitment of 20,000 new police officers and an increase in complex cases as major contributors.
Sackman fired back, insisting that ministers do have a plan. She highlighted measures like criminal legal aid reforms, extended court hours, and increased magistrate sentencing powers.
Judges Demand More Court Time
Justice Secretary Shabana Mahmood confirmed this week that crown court judges will sit for 110,000 days next year. However, Lady Chief Justice Sue Carr has pushed for the full 113,000 days available, arguing that delays are unacceptable.
The Ministry of Justice has refused, citing funding limitations.
Victims Left Waiting for Justice
The crisis is hitting victims hard. A report from Victims’ Commissioner Helen Newlove reveals that 48% of victims have had their trial date changed at least once. Even worse, the number of cases rescheduled on the day of trial has quadrupled in four years.
Newlove has called for a dedicated courts inspectorate to hold the system accountable. She shared one shocking case where a victim’s trial had been adjourned seven times.
“This is appalling,” she said. “Victims should not have to live in constant fear that their trial will be delayed again.”
Labour scrapped the courts inspectorate in 2010, and the Conservatives rejected calls to reinstate it in 2022. Now, with the backlog spiralling, some are questioning whether that decision should be reversed.
You may also like: Jeremy Corbyn demands inquiry into UK’s involvement in assault on Gaza – full letter